Feed-In Tariffs

A Feed-In Tariff (FIT) is one of the most exciting ways to get involved in tackling climate change. Whether you make your electricity from the sun, the wind or the many other options available, this Government scheme encourages people to join in by providing a guaranteed return on their investment.

Once you have your electricity generating equipment installed, you'll need to register with a supplier of your choice. Then, if you use the electricity you generate you may reduce your electricity bills, and you'll get paid for any excess you export to the grid. Also, the Feed-In Tariff will pay you a rate for all of the electricity you generate. And you'll get paid for up to 20 years, so that you'll get a return on the cost of installing your equipment.

How a Feed-In Tariff works

The FIT scheme supports many of the options available to generate your own electricity. You'll get paid for the energy you create, which you can use to power your home. Plus, you can export any electricity you don't use and you'll get paid for that too.

Once you've had your generating equipment installed, you can then apply for the Feed-In Tariff with your preferred supplier. To register, you just complete an application form and provide your supporting documentation. Be sure to read the terms and conditions. We'll also let you know what supporting documents you'll need in your application.

Once you've completed your application, provided your supporting documents and signed any required declarations, we'll register you on the FIT scheme and Ofgem's central registry. Then you'll submit meter readings every quarter so that we can make your payments. We make it easy - you can do all this online and choose to have your payments by cheque or direct to your bank account.

What happens after you've applied

Once we've received your completed application and supporting documents we'll register you with the Feed-In Tariff scheme.

We'll send you a contract for you to sign and return. After we've processed it, we'll set everything up for you so you can give us your meter readings and receive your payments. On every anniversary of your registration, we'll get in touch to confirm the details held on Ofgem's Central FIT Register are accurate (also known as an Annual Declaration).

As a Feed-In Tariff Generator, you must provide safe access to your FIT meter at least once every two years for inspection and reading. We will make all reasonable attempts to read your meter, but if we are unsuccessful this could result in your FIT payments being suspended.

Eligibility for a Feed-In Tariff

To see if your generating equipment is eligible for a FIT, check the following statements. Eligibility is still subject to other terms and conditions, which are outlined with the FIT application document.

1. Your installation has a total installed capacity no larger than 5MW or 2kW for Micro CHP.

2. You are MCS (Microgeneration Certificate Scheme) or ROO-FIT Accredited.

3. You have a compliant generation meter (if you're unsure, contact your installer for advice).

4. All parts of your generating equipment were new at the time of commissioning.

5. If your equipment was commissioned before 31st March 2010, you have received or registered to receive payment under the ROC Scheme (Renewable Obligation Certificates) before 21 March 2010.

6. If you have a grant, it is as a permitted grant or it has satisfied the de minimus Commission Regulation.

Eligible electricity generating equipment includes:

1. Solar photovoltaic (Solar PV)

2. Wind turbines

3. Hydro Systems

4. Micro combined heat and power (CHP)

5. Anaerobic digestion

For more information, please see the ‘FIT Terms and conditions PDF’ at the bottom of this page.

Getting paid

You'll be paid quarterly for the electricity you make, based on the meter readings you give us. We’ll send you a statement every three months to let you know the amount of the payment you’re due. It will explain how it’s been calculated and when you need to give your next reading(s).

Our meter reader will read your FIT meter(s) at least once a year. They’ll also read any energy meters on your property that we supply. If we don’t receive a meter reading from you or the meter reader, your statement will show a zero balance. To receive a payment, you’ll need to send us a reading within two weeks from the date the statement was sent. If you’re not able to, then don’t worry! We’ll carry forward your payment to the next quarter, when we’ll need an updated meter reading.

You can find out the price of the energy that you will generate on Ofgem’s website. There’s a link to the site at the bottom of this page.

If you're VAT registered, we can only pay VAT on the energy you export. You'll need to send us a VAT invoice for your exported energy so that we can process your VAT payment.

Please note: If you haven't signed and returned your contract to us, completed your Annual Declaration or we have not been provided with access to read the FIT meter(s) within the previous 2 years, we won't be able to make your payments.

Providing meter readings

When it's time for you to give us a meter reading, there's no need to telephone or email. Just take two minutes to fill out the FIT meter reading form online.

You'll need to provide meter readings annually (we'll let you know when) from your generation and export meter (if applicable). The easiest and quickest way to get your payment is by logging into your account on this site and giving us the information.

You can also give us your meter readings by telephone on 0800 072 3933. We're open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm and Saturdays 8am to 2pm.

Please note: This facility is to be used when we have requested readings from you to enable us to pay you. Please do not use this to submit your start meter readings.

Making a change to your generating equipment

If you've made any changes to your generating equipment, tell us right away. We can make sure that your registration on FIT scheme is updated so that you continue to get paid the right amount.

If you've extended your installation, please complete an application form and send it to us with your supporting documents.

If you've sold your FIT installation, want to nominate someone else to receive payments on your behalf or wish to discuss a change you are making, please contact us on 0800 975 0502.

Making a complaint about your FIT

While we do our utmost to give you the best customer service, sometimes things go wrong. So to make sure your queries are answered to your satisfaction we have a complaints procedure.

We have a helpline 0800 072 3933 open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 2pm on Saturday, where you can talk to people who are ready to help and answer any questions you have.

There are certain circumstances which are unique to the Feed-In Tariff scheme; the Department of Energy and Climate Change have outlined what you should do.