To move your energy supply to your new home online, you'll need to have your new address, moving dates and meter readings to hand. 

Couple moving home amongst boxes

Take my SSE energy supply to my new home

If you're moving home or just moving out, why not use our online moving service? You can move your gas and electricity accounts to your new home using our simple online journey.

Move my supply

Couple sat on sofa

Set up an SSE energy supply at your new home

If you've moved into a property we supply or you'd like to switch to SSE at your new home, simply use our online move in service.

Set up SSE supply

Moving home with your Pay As You Go meter

If your new home has a Pay As you Go meter or you'd like to have a Pay As You Go meter at your new property, please give us a call on 0345 600 2006 and we'll help get you set up.

Landlords and letting agents

Managing your tenants

If you’re a landlord and there’s a change in occupier for the property you’re managing, you can let us know about it online. You can give us the details of a tenant or organisation moving in to or out of your property, and we’ll sort out the rest.

Manage tenants


Moving tenants into a vacant property

If you have a property that’s been vacant and now has a tenant or organisation moving in, there’s a way to give us these details without providing information about who’s moved out. Once we have the incoming occupant’s details, we’ll complete the moving process.

Move a tenant in

Can't find what you're looking for? Try our help pages

If you want more info on how the moving home process works, you can learn more from our help pages below.

If you'd prefer to call our Homemoves team, we'll be happy to talk you through the next steps and set up your gas and electricity accounts – just call us on 0345 071 7861.

About call charges

Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than calling 01 and 02 prefixed numbers. For specific call charges, check with your phone provider.